BC Women’s Hospital is the only standalone women’s hospital in western Canada, with over 80,000 clinical visits a year.
- BC Women’s is at ground zero in eradicating cervical cancer.
- The Oak Tree Clinic has set the global standard for treatment of pregnant and breastfeeding HIV positive/AIDS mothers. Since 1997, there have been no perinatal transmissions among more than 530 mother-infant pairs cared for by Oak Tree.
- FIR Square has defined the model in North America for care and treatment of pregnant women with mental health and substance use.
- The Lalji Family Urgent Care Centre, Canada’s only maternity Emergency Room, sees 15,000 patient visits a year
- BC Women’s was the first hospital in Canada to have midwives providing care and now hosts the largest Midwifery Department.
- First hospital in Canada to have obstetricians performing ultrasound on pregnant women.
- Home to the first Mother Baby Care program in Canada where mothers and infants requiring intensive care share a room and can be cared for together.
- The Complex Chronic Disease Program was the first BC clinic to support people living with chronic Lyme Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- One of the few referral care centres in Canada providing comprehensive care for Endometriosis and pelvic pain, the BC Women’s Centre for Pelvic Pain & Endometriosis program has provided assessment and treatment to BC women for more than five years.
But we have more work to do to provide integrated healthcare for women of all ages.
Join us on our mission to advocate for equitable access to healthcare for women.