Join our Team
You may be wondering why we are hiring. BC Women’s Hospital Foundation is on the precipice of changing the tide on women’s health. We believe that healthy women are essential to creating and maintaining healthy families and communities. We know we have Hospital Foundation in our name but don’t be fooled, we are far more than an entity that raises money for capital and equipment needs. We are committed in our tireless pursuit of advocating for a holistic approach to women’s health.
This position is one of a handful of new opportunities that we have created to ensure there is an equitable investment in women’s health. Learn more about us here.
We are seeking an experienced, well organized and dynamic individual (with a sense of humor) who is interested in becoming a part of the team that is going to move the needle on women’s health. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Accounting Assistant performs duties related to the preparation and maintenance of day-to-day, monthly and annual accounting records for the effective and efficient operation of the Foundation.
- Reconciles accounts and working papers
- Prepares journal entries for posting
- Assists with the documentation of processes, policies and procedures
- Assists with staff enquiries regarding revenue and expenses
- Acts as petty cash custodian
- Assists with the compilation of monthly financial statements including running reports and queries from the financial systems
- Assists with the preparation of budget to actual variances
- Assists in the preparation of the T3010 tax returns and Gaming Reports
- Assists in budget preparation and year-end audit processes
- Collects and processes timesheets
- Assists with other tasks and projects as assigned by the Director, Finance and CF+OO, consistent with the scope of the job
- As a member of the Foundation team, the Accounting Assistant is expected to participate in the Foundation’s signature events, or other key events in which all staff are expected to play a role
Accounts Payable and Receivable
- Reviews invoices for appropriate approval
- Code invoices and sends to PHSA AP for processing
- Liaison between PHSA Accounts Payable and internal/external vouchers
- Maintains cheque registers
- Creates and tracks accounts receivable invoices
- Works closely with Donations Office ensuring an accurate and efficient link between GL and Donations processing
- Processes donations on an as needed basis
Education and Experience
Two year college diploma in accounting, bookkeeping or other related discipline with a minimum of three years computerized accounting experience in a multi-department, environment including journal entries, account reconciliation, A/P, A/R, financial statements, and budget; and documenting and identifying improvements to processes. Not-for-profit experience preferred.
Skills and Competencies
- Accuracy, detail orientation and technical proficiency in the performance of a wide range of accounting processes.
- Advanced proficiency in computer skills using MS Office Applications and Peoplesoft; experience with donor database systems such as Raiser’s Edge an asset.
- Good organizational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritize workloads.
- Ability to work under pressure while keeping a client focus and producing high quality accurate work in a timely manner, often to deadline.
- Ability to identify, investigate, analyze and problem solve when reconciling accounts.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and ability to exercise judgement and confidentiality and deal with sensitive information and situations appropriately.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with people at all levels, internal and external to the organization.
- Ability to adapt to change and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to exercise initiative and self-motivation and, at the same time, work effectively in a team environment.
Interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until a successful candidate is placed. If interested, please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.