News at BC Women's
- Wednesday, November 15 - BC Women’s celebrates a new funding investment towards Kangaroo Mother Care in BC.
- The Hope Starts Here campaign has been BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre Foundation’s most successful to date, keeping the Hospital at the forefront of rapid changes in technology, research and medical advancements.
- Anna McCandles reflects on the heartbreaking loss of her dear daughter, Josephine, on this October 15; Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.
Imagine your long awaited pregnancy ends abruptly. You are fine but your baby is not. Born six weeks early your baby requires life saving neonatal intensive care.
Following Laurie Clarke’s retirement, Genesa Greening is joining our team as our new President + Chief Executive Officer. Look for Genesa at the Foundation, starting October 3rd.
- We are very pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Lori Brotto to the position of Executive Director, Women’s Health Research Institute, BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre, effective July 1, 2016.
Dr. Paula Gordon and her colleagues are comparing traditional 2D mammography screening combined with tomosynthesis mammography with traditional 2D mammography alone. The purpose of this study is to compare the recall rate of these two methods.
Women in the prime of their lives are needlessly dying. Dr. Gina Ogilvie and her fellow researchers at BC Women’s have the answers. They are leaders in the global effort to end cervical cancer. All they need is you…
- Cutting-edge health research projects at Genome BC received a big boost with $34 million in government funding. A key project being supported by the province is RAPIDOMICS, which uses genome sequencing to identify genetic disorders in newborns at BC Women’s Hospital.
- Suffering from pain during intercourse is much more common than most people realize. Endometriosis afflicts 1 in 10 women, and half of these women will also experience pain during intercourse, called deep dyspareunia. The risk factors for deep dyspareunia are unknown but preliminary studies carried out by Dr. Yong show that depression, genetic factors, and problems with the bladder and pelvic structure may contribute.
- At BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre Foundation, Laurie Clarke started out as a donor long before she became its CEO. Today that connection, which initially drew her to the Vancouver-based organization, helps her to lead it.
- Canadian Blood Services’ Cord Blood Bank has been officially launched. Expectant mothers who give birth at participating hospitals can now help build an ethnically diverse stem cell bank in Canada by donating their baby’s cord blood.
- Thanks to donors like you, BC Women’s Milk Bank has expanded across the province to ensure BC’s sickest babies have access to the best nutrition
- Dr. Gina Ogilvie Receives Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Global Control of HPV-Related Disease and CancerWe are pleased to announce that Dr. Gina Ogilvie MD MSc FCFP DrPH has joined BC Women’s Hospital as Senior Advisor, Research & Assistant Director Women’s Health Research Institute. Dr. Gina Ogilvie has recently been awarded the Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Global Control of HPV-Related Disease and Cancer.
In Canada, half of all pregnancies are unintended. Single working mothers, women living in poverty, with mental illness, or in rural and remote locations can struggle to space their pregnancies—with consequences for their own and their children’s long term development. Accessing information about effective contraception is difficult and many are unable to pay for the methods they would choose if they knew about their options.
- Wednesday, September 16th Nordstrom Inc. will celebrate the opening of its Pacific Centre flagship store in Vancouver with a gala benefiting BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre Foundation, Covenant House Vancouver, BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, and Vancouver Art Gallery!
- Beyond Canadian Borders: The She-Way and Fir Square Model Influences and Inspires Care Models Around the World!Dr. Ron Abraham’s work on trauma-informed care for childbearing women struggling with substance use, and the innovative program models of Sheway and Fir Square, is being used as a model for improving care well beyond the borders of Canada.
- BC Women's Researcher, Dr Ruth Elwood Martin publishes Arresting Hope: Women Taking Action in Prison Inside OutArresting Hope reminds us that prisons are not only places of punishment, marginalization, and trauma, but that they can also be places of hope, blessing even, where people with difficult lived experiences can begin to compose stories full of healing, anticipation, communication, education, connection, and community.
- BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre is excited to announce that as of April 14, the Heart Program for Women will be enhancing its service offering to patients
March 19, 2014: In January BC Women's Hospital was named as one of four Canadian collection sites, along with institutions in Ottawa, Ontario, Brampton, Ont. and Edmonton, Alberta, for the new National Public Cord Blood Bank. All four sites are now collecting cord blood for validation purposes and will open officially later in 2014.
- April 8, 2012, VANCOUVER – Government is providing a grant of $650,000 to the BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre Foundation to support their campaign to expand the milk bank program at BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre in response to community demand for donor breast milk for preterm and critically-ill babies.
- March 4, 2013, Vancouver – Starting today, a newly-created Complex Chronic Disease Program located at BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre will begin accepting patient referrals.
- For Dr. Jan Christilaw, President of BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre, the pursuit of excellence isn’t just a noble aspiration. It’s the driving spirit behind every program, every equipment purchase and every act of care. During their last visit, Accreditation Canada awarded BC Women's a new and unprecedented level of validation for their relentless pursuit of excellence.
In a survey released by the provincial government in December 2012, PHSA’s two acute care facilities, BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre and BC Children’s Hospital, earned top marks from patients for the care they provide.
- The guardians of low-risk childbirth, modern midwives at BC Women’s are guiding moms through pregnancy, labour and delivery
BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre and the BC Centre for Disease Control are reminding pregnant women of the importance of getting a flu shot.
Tour the Sadie Diamond Breast Health Imaging Centre and see why digital mammography with tomosynthsis will make a difference for the women of BC. Linda Aylesworth reports on Global BC Health Headlines.
We're very pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Wee-Shian Chan as Head, Department of Medicine; Lead, Obstetric General Internal Medicine Group; and Clinician, Obstetric General Internal Medicine for BC Women’s Hospital.
Women suffering from debilitating pelvic pain find help and hope at BC Women’s Centre for Pelvic Pain + Endometriosis
A new Newborn ICU protocol is greatly enhancing infant safety and care.
On May 25, Senator Larry Campbell presented the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Medal to Dr. Paula Gordon, Medical Director, BC Women's Hospital Breast Health Program, for her work and involvement in Breast Imaging, and in recognition of her work on the Board of Canucks for Kids fund.
BC Women’s nurse practitioners are delivering desperately needed healthcare services to at-risk women on the Downtown Eastside.