Why A Hospital Just For Women?
- Comprising 52% of the population, women account for an enormous group of health-care users.
- Women have a whole range of health issues related to their childbearing ability.
- Health and medicine differ between men and women in many more areas than previously believed.
- Physiologically, women's bodies react differently to treatment and medications, both when pregnant and when not.
- They are more vulnerable to osteoporosis and suffer from different types of cancer.
- Women smoke for different reasons than men.
- Women experience addiction to drugs and alcohol in unique ways.
- Women are more likely to experience major depression in their lifetimes.
- The existence of a facility like Women's means women's health issues receive the attention they deserve.
- Women's has the ability to attract the best health-care providers and researchers, and the mandate to act as a resource for women throughout the province.
Women's receives the bulk of its funding from the provincial government. Why Do We Need More Than Government Support?
- Our current medical system, funded by our tax dollars, only pays for the basics in health care.
- As medical research expands our knowledge and expertise, the cost of specialized health services increases beyond the basics.
- Our growing and aging population causes health-care costs to increase annually.
- To enhance the quality of our health-care system, we need to take some personal financial responsibility.
- Without the support of the public, we will be unable to sustain our high level of service and grow to meet the increasing demand.