If you’re a gifted story teller, proficient with Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and have the ability to build, execute and measure successful social media campaigns, we have amazing stories in abundance for you to share. If you’re talented at crafting compelling, succinct press releases that make journalists sit-up and take notice, we have an endless supply of thought provoking, heartwarming and ground breaking content that needs your help to get out into the universe. If you’re skilled at managing, creating and posting online content for a diverse group of web users including donors, event sponsors and BC Women’s staff, our soon-to-be-launched website is waiting for you.
We’re looking for a creative, visionary and tenacious team member who is keen to stir it up, be an advocate for women’s health and knows how to lift a message above the clutter. A sense of humour, a true collaborator and a fearless love for challenges is what we’re looking for (bonus points if you’re proficient with Adobe Indesign, Photoshop, Lightroom and have any photography/videography skills).
If you want to love where you work, have a bit of swagger and the skills to back it up, we have a dream job for you.
The Digital Communications + Media Coordinator assists in developing and executing communications and media strategies to increase awareness of, and to promote a strong, positive profile for BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre. The role supports the Foundation’s public relations objectives in acquiring earned media, managing its website and serving as lead on its social medial platforms. As well, working collaboratively with the team, the Digital Communications + Media Coordinator participates in supporting the fundraising initiatives and communication needs of the Foundation to identify and develop proactive “good news” content for media and public brand enhancing initiatives.
- Assists with the development and execution of communications plans that incorporate media relations, community relations, and event promotion including frequent, proactive relationship building and story sharing with news media for the purposes of fundraising.
- Working with Foundation leadership, fundraising and event staff, serves as lead on the Foundation’s website through maintaining, managing and coordinating every facet of the website.
- Compiles and maintains media lists in addition to media monitoring and tracking.
- Writes and edits news releases and media advisories following CP Style guidelines.
- Researches and writes backgrounders, press kits, articles, and briefing notes as required.
- Assists, develops then pitches story ideas to media; assists in responding to Foundation media inquiries.
- Procures media to attend Foundation events in addition to managing the onsite coordination of attending media.
- Develops and implements social media engagement strategies in addition to researching, writing and posting social media content.
- Monitors social media and traditional media for trends, threats and highlights across the international women’s health sector; reports out on all media earned through the stories generated by the role.
Works under the general supervision of the Senior Director, Communications + Media Relations and is expected to exercise good judgement while operating within existing polices and guidelines.
No control over any budget.
All relationships and communications are conducted with tact, respecting the sensitivity, confidentiality and statutory privacy of information.
Establishes and maintains effective collaborative relationships with all Foundation staff and with a wide range of Hospital program staff collaborating on the good works of BC Women’s as it relates to the interests of the Foundation.
Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with media in order to grow positive media and public awareness of BC Women’s and the Foundation.
No supervision exercised.
Bachelor degree plus at least three to five years’ public relations/media relations experience. Not for profit experience is an asset. Demonstrated experience and success in media and community relations and in utilizing social media and web tools to effectively execute communications and marketing plans.
SKILLS and COMPETENCIES
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills including the ability to write promotional material for a variety of audiences and for a variety of communication platforms.
- Advanced skills in social media platforms, protocols and strategy.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish positive work relationships with people at all levels, internal and external to the organization.
- Ability to work under pressure and produce high quality accurate work, with strong attention to detail, in a timely manner, often to tight deadlines.
- Ability to organize and prioritize a multi-task workload.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgement.
- Ability to work independently and, at the same time, work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated resilience and commitment to the Foundation and Hospital values.
- Proficiency with Twitter, Facebook and Instagram in addition to the Microsoft Office suite of programs specifically Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop an asset.